Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.500 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) is a German-Polish research center for data-intensive digital systems research. CASUS was founded in 2019 in Görlitz and conducts digital interdisciplinary systems research in various fields such as earth systems research, systems biology and materials research.
To strengthen our diverse team, the CASUS is looking for a
Research Software Engineer/Developer (f/m/d) for an HPC Particle in Cell Code.
The 2 positions will be available at the earliest possible date. The employment contract is limited to two years with the possibility of longer-term prospects.
The scope of your job:
You will join an interdisciplinary team of domain experts and computer scientists developing the exascale particle-in-cell code PIConGPU as well as a rich and open HPC software stack. PIConGPU is pushing boundaries of large scale particle-in-cell simulations for over a decade, from being a finalist to the Gordon Bell Prize 2013 till current participation in OLCF's Frontier supercomputer CAAR program. PIConGPU is our primary application and drives development of our C++ HPC software stack including the performance portability libraries alpaka and cupla, the manycore heap allocator mallocMC, the memory abstraction library llama, the in-situ visualization tool ISAAC, and the task library redGrapes.
You will work with cutting edge HPC hardware and software, collaborate with vendors such as NVIDIA and AMD, and work on the largest existing and upcoming supercomputers. In this environment, you will face a variety of challenges allowing you to dive into different areas, develop new skills and play with new concepts and technologies.
We are continuously advancing the code base in order to make use of latest developments and features from programming languages, compilers, and libraries available on HPC systems. In particular, our software extensively employs C++ template programming and metaprogramming for creating generic high performance code. We embrace open source development and collaboration, as such all our software is open source and we regularly contribute to related projects.
- Contribute to PIConGPU and our ecosystem as a developer and potential maintainer
- Implement new code and optimize existing code with focus on performance on heterogeneous systems
- Employ modern CC++ to develop high level abstractions
- Work together with domain experts on implementing advanced physics models and numerics in PIConGPU
- Support and enhance our development workflows.
- Support PIConGPU users
- Contribute to publications and presentations of your and the team's work in scientific journals
and on conferences
- Master´s or PhD degree in Computer Science, Data Science or equivalent
- A solid background in software development
- Excellent programming skills in C++
- Experience in python or other programming language is desirable
- Experience in open source development
- Experience in parallel programming, ideally on GPUs (CUDA, HIP, SYCL or OpenCL)
- Experience in using tracing or profiling tools is desirable
- Strong motivation to work in a collaborative environment of an international team
- Professional communication skills in English
What we offer:
- Becoming an expert in a world leading and internationally renowned HPC software stack
- Collaborating with outstanding domain researchers and HPC experts all over the world
- Working on cutting edge HPC systems and closely collaborating with major HPC vendors
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment, mobile working and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- Employee discounts with well-known providers via the platform Corporate Benefits
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
How to apply: