Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.500 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) is a German-Polish research center for data-intensive digital systems research. CASUS was founded in 2019 in Görlitz and conducts digital interdisciplinary systems research in various fields such as earth systems research, systems biology and materials research.
To strengthen our diverse team, the Department of Earth System Science at CASUS is looking for a
PostDoc (f/m/d) in spatial data science and GIS
The position will be available at the earliest possible date. The employment contract is limited to two years with the possibility of longer-term prospects.
The successful candidate (f/m/d) will be part of an interdisciplinary department tackling spatially explicit problems in the areas of movement ecology, riverine biodiversity, and epidemiology. In particular, the postdoc (f/m/d) will develop research projects in any (or multiple) of the above-mentioned research areas that are consistent with the department’s goals. Furthermore, the postdoc (f/m/d) will collaborate with other department members to support ongoing research in spatial ecology and spatial epidemiology.
- Perform spatial statistical analyses on diverse ecological, epidemiological and remotely sensed datasets
- Write code to automate large-scale spatial analyses and GIS tasks
- Develop novel spatial analysis methods as needed across a range of ecological subject areas
- Manage and extend a global-scale, spatially-referenced database including animal tracking data, species occurrence records, epidemiological data and relevant covariates
- Lead research projects in the candidate’s core areas of expertise
- Collaborate with other department members on geospatial analysis, mapping and spatial data management tasks
- Publish results in academic, peer-reviewed journals and present results at scientific meetings
- PhD degree in spatial ecology, spatial statistics, geography, remote sensing, environmental science, cartography or a related field
- Strong background in spatial statistics and data science
- Experience working with large, spatially referenced datasets
- Fluency with GIS software (e.g., ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, QGIS)
- Advanced programming skills in modern data science languages (R, Python, or Julia), including packages/extensions for working with spatial data
- Experience in extracting spatial modeling inputs (e.g., environmental covariates) from remotely-sensed data
- Excellent communication skills in English in a professional context (presentation of research results at scientific meetings, colloquial discussions, manuscript writing)
- Evidence of the ability to publish results in top peer-reviewed journals
- Experience working with PostgreSQL databases and the PostGIS extension thereof is advantageous but not required
What we offer:
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- A wide range of qualification opportunities and individual career counseling provided by the Postdoc Center HZDR-TUD
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment, mobile working and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- Employee discounts with well-known providers via the platform Corporate Benefits
How to apply:
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system: https://www.hzdr.de/db/